Friday, May 11, 2012

Katie Kovach

Durham, NC (Durham County)
What does she do? I am a Laboratory Manager for a plant evolutionary ecology laboratory in the Biology Department at Duke University. I mentor undergraduate and high school students, and manage many of the day to day activities in our lab. I am also an informal educator in Durham county with community gardens and local non-profit groups.

Favorite part of earning her certification? My favorite part of the certification was meeting people from other backgrounds and teaching experiences. It was fascinating and encouraging to be able to connect with many people from different occupations, counties, even states. I made valuable friendships and professional acquaintances through the workshops I took for this certification.

Certification experience that stands out? I loved having a extra motivation to explore North Carolina and get outside of the Piedmont where I spend most of my time. I made it out to Mt. Mitchell as part of my certification, and I wish I had had a week to spend up there!

Her Action Partnership? I put together an online field guide for the Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association in Durham county North Carolina. That guide can be found here:  http://fieldguides.eol.org/fieldguide-view.php?guidekey=249 My objectives for the field guide were: 1. To have a user friendly and field friendly version of the species lists that are currently available on the ECWA website. 2. To have an online interface where people involved with ECWA can update the species list and get detailed information on species they are interested in. I used the category designations from the ECWA website, so that it would be applicable to land management activities. When people print and save copies of the guide in pdf form, they can specify which species from the guide they wish to include. I have also made myself available to the group for an introduction on how to use the guide.

Congratulations, Katie!

No comments:

Post a Comment