Thursday, September 25, 2014

Kellie Lewis

What do you do?
I develop, schedule and teach environmental education programs to school groups, Pre-K through college. I teach public environmental programs, including Boy and Girl Scouts. I organize public events and maintain the living collection. I do outreach programs for schools and public. I serve on several boards and community organizations. With my few hours of free time I like to throw the ball with my dog, Nellie. We love to travel. Although I haven't had time to do much, I enjoy SCUBA diving, skiing, reading and cooking.

What was your favorite part of earning your certification?
I love the outdoor programs (Criteria II). I enjoyed them so much, that I didn't realize I could get EE credits for it. I loved participating in fun activities that I didn't have to schedule and lead! I also live in an area where there aren't many environmental educators, this program introduced me to lots of folks that I would have never met otherwise.

What certification experience stands out for you? 
I really enjoyed the Leopold Education Project. As an educator you struggle with the Two Hats. There is a balance between what is environmentally beneficial and what humans need to survive. Aldo Leopold really had a grasp of this concept, rather than pushing an extreme view. I had a lot of aha moments in this program.

What was your community partnership project and how did it affect the community? 
I developed a small pocket park with signage and an amphitheater. I have seen more people coming to the space. It's also a great teaching space. The next part of the project is going to be promoting the space by possibly bringing in musicians or speakers to utilize the amphitheater and promoting the space as a great place to eat lunch and walk your dog, or just hang out for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment