Friday, January 30, 2015

David Hutchison

What do you do? 
My wife and I, Shari Galiardi (another E.E. alumna) are beginning an internship in the Spring and Fall 2015 with Acadia National Park, in Maine. We will be working with their education programs for 3rd - 6th graders. During the summer months I'm going to continue my teaching by leading Sea Kayak tours in Frenchman's Bay, Bar Harbor.

What was your favorite part of earning your certification? 
Over the past 2 years we've traveled to about 50 national parks, and put over 45,000 miles on our retro camper trailer. It was so cool to get credit for attending the ranger-led programs. We would have attended these anyway, but sending in Form B's from all over the country was pretty cool. During our travels we've seen some outstanding presentations, some pretty good ones, and some that just didn't cut it. It's been interesting to reflect on what works and what doesn't and how I might approach the same topic.

What certification experience stands out for you? 
My first workshop was the Planning of Wetlands, and I think that's when I realized just how much I didn't know. As an outdoor educator I had taken students to the tidal marshes of coastal Carolina for years on sea kayaking trips. I'd paddled through tidal streams, along the banks of oyster beds and onto the coastal island sea shore, but what I didn't know about these ecosystems was surprising. I realized at that moment that this certification was something I wanted to work toward.

What was your community partnership project and how did it affect the community? 
For our Community Partnership we worked with a local Fishing and canoe/ kayak rental company to turn a little used junk room into a river ecosystem education room. We had so much fun collecting resources, making displays and transforming a place where people stood in line for the toilet into a place where they just might learn something and maybe pick up some trash as enjoyed their float trip.

Please explain how participating in the EE Certification program led to any changes in your approach to teaching others.
I've learned that while I need to have the facts, I don't need to be an expert. People won't remember data, but they will remember the emotional connection, and experiences they have with the environment. By showing people that there is complexity and interdependence within the beauty of nature, folks will go beyond the surface of their experiences. I've learned that I need to help create an experience and then get out of the way of that learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment