Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Carrie Council

What do you do? 
I work as an Office Support Assistant at Piedmont Environmental Center. The majority of my work is clerical but I also help the two naturalists on staff with environmental education programs and I am available to answer questions from the public. At my previous job I taught EE classes and cared for live animals that were on display at the park. I enjoy gardening, bird watching and camping.

What was your favorite part of earning your certification? 
Attending a variety of workshops was so fun! I learned a lot and was able to travel to different parts of North Carolina.

What certification experience stands out for you? 
Project WILD was one of the first and best workshops I attended throughout the process. The activities that I did that day are the ones I use most often with school groups. Campers can play "Thicket" for hours!

What was your community partnership project and how did it affect the community?
For my project I implemented an interpretive trail at San-Lee Park in Sanford, NC. I designed a brochure that will be available to the public and any group that visits the park. Lee County is full of young families with school-aged children. San-Lee Park is a high use park for families where they can go paddle boating and play on a nice playground. Adding a user-friendly environmental education activity will benefit these weekend visitors by teaching them about the natural world around them. Creating a positive experience in the forest will educate the students and families of local flora and fauna.

No comments:

Post a Comment