Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Daniel Wheeler

What do you do? 
I work as an educator at Lake Crabtree County Park. I teach classes on a variety of topics from snakes to astronomy to compost. When giving a one-sentence summary of my job to strangers, I usually say, "I teach children to love nature." When I'm not working, I'm cooking (and doing dishes! arg!), reading, writing, or gaming (all kinds, but preferably tabletop).

What was your favorite part of earning your certification? 
The Criteria II opportunities! It was really eye-opening to become aware of all the beautiful natural areas around the state, and even more fun to have a professional interpret them for us. Most of my Criteria II workshops were identification classes, as I love being able to name things. I felt gave me a deeper appreciation for many forms of wildlife, especially plants, as it's often all too easy to let many species become 'background noise' when you have no idea what they are.

What certification experience stands out for you?
Visiting the Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge was the most awe-inspiring: seeing my first wild bobcat, being within 60 feet of black bears, hearing and feeling the roar of 10,000 wings as a flock of snow geese takes off. I had visited places like Yellowstone and Muir Woods and experienced America's majesty, but figured it was all out West. Having this experience in North Carolina made me realize just how amazing our state is.

What was your community partnership project and how did it affect the community? 
I installed a drip irrigation system at our office garden. The system will save staff time and effort, as well as saving water. The interpretive elements of the project will highlight the benefits and necessity of water conservation.

No comments:

Post a Comment