Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Cynthia Hever

Holly Springs

I volunteer at Lake Crabtree County Park. I also write a nature blog.

My favorite part of earning my certification was meeting like-minded people from all different segments of society. It was refreshing and inspiring to hear about the good things people are doing on behalf of wildlife and the planet.

I enjoyed the outdoor activities, which allowed me to be close to nature and learn many different things. Every instructor I met was enthusiastic, informative and dedicated.

A new greenway was under construction behind my neighborhood. It is an elevated boardwalk over a wetland. For my community partnership project, I added environmental educational signs to the boardwalk to educate people about the complex systems of which we are a part.

My project was twofold, a cleanup of the greenway with a Boy Scout troop and the educational signs containing appropriate material for the ecosystem. One sign describes the important role wetlands have in the environment and the second sign explains the importance of snags to the environment and wildlife.

The signs are written for a wide audience and include graphics and images. They are designed to foster awareness and to personalize the larger picture of the river basin by providing a map of the location of the wetland and the creek it drains into within the community.

A contact number is provided if people would like to know more about environmental projects in their community and how they can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment