Friday, November 30, 2012

Stan Koziol

                                                                                                                                                        
Full-time, I'm an accountant that has worked twenty years at UNC-Chapel Hill. Fun time, I'm a scout leader and volunteer camp host at Jordan Lake State Recreation Area.

My favorite part of earning the certification would have to be the vast array of subject matter mixed in with interesting class mates and newly discovered classrooms that ranged from nature centers to
landfills.

The certification experience that stands out for me was certainly the excitement and creativity that is generated when adults get to do a crafts project designed for K-6 students. My favorite is the fish impression using watercolors during a Growing up WILD course. I proudly have mine hanging on the wall even though everyone assumes it was created by a Cub Scout.

For my community partnership project, I worked with State Park staff and a Boy Scout Troop to develop a butterfly garden at Crosswinds Campground located in Jordan Lake State Recreation Area. The garden is near the boat ramp and has a central walkway that leads to the amphitheater. Benches were built and installed strategically to offer a relaxing, open view to the lake. Over fifty nectar and host plants, all native to North Carolina, were planted and nurtured.

The Chatham Record highlighted Evan Seagroves, one of the local boy scouts who worked on the project at Jordan Lake State Recreation Area for his Eagle Scout Project. Read the article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment