What do you do?
I spend my days exploring the wonders that the natural world provides to us. Through my work as an outdoor guide and outdoor educator I am blessed with the ability to introduce the magic of nature to many who would not otherwise be able to experience it.
What was your favorite part of earning your certification? Through my participation in the NC EE program, I was introduced to a number of educational programs and locations through out the state of North Carolina that I may have otherwise missed out on.
What certification experience stands out for you?
Its hard for me to pick out one individual experience that stood out to me during the certification process because there have been some many wonderful moments. If I had to select just one, it would have to be the NC Catch Course I did at Tanglewood Park with Tanya Poole, from NC Wildlife Resources Commission. My Wife, Casey Chipka took this course with me and it was her first time catching a freshwater catfish. That evening we went home and taught my daughter the process of cleaning and skinning catfish. Then had a wonderful family meal. Great family memories made possible through the certification program.
What was your community partnership project and how did it affect the community?
For my community partnership project I worked with the Shakori District of the Boy Scouts of America. Utilizing the experience I gained through a number of the courses that I took during my certification process we added an environment education program to the five day Cub Scout Day Camp. We incorporated training from Leave No Trace, Tread Lightly!, Project WILD, Project Learning Tree and had special presentations from Midgard Serpent & Reptile Rescue and the department of Fish and Wildlife. More than 100 youth between the ages of 5 - 10 where provided with up close and personal experiences with wildlife and a new love for the natural world around them.

No comments:
Post a Comment