Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Phyllis Hoffman Demko

What do you do?
In late 2012 I retired from university and school administration. I wanted to learn about the environment and to help others, especially children, develop an appreciation of the magical world around us. I am a regular volunteer/docent for the Discovery Room at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences and I have volunteered to assist with programs at Prairie Ridge Ecostation and camps at local parks. I will continue going to workshops and consulting resource people and materials in order to keep learning about ecosystems and the characteristics of animals and plants.


What was your favorite part of earning your certification? 
I loved the workshops. Most of them were taught by very competent and interesting instructors who demonstrated their love of their subject.

What certification experience stands out for you? My weekends at Tremont are very special to me. I started the Naturalist Skills certification there, when I intended to move to that area. I am grateful that I was able to transfer most of the Tremont hours to the NC program. As I have only two more weekend courses to complete for the Tremont certification, I will surely get that done in the next year -- primarily because the learning experience is so wonderful.



What was your community partnership project and how did it affect the community? 
I led a group of community volunteers in erecting a platform for an osprey nest at Bass Lake Park in Holly Springs, NC. So far, an osprey has been checking it out, but one has not nested there yet. Should an osprey pair come to live there, I will develop a public program about ospreys.

No comments:

Post a Comment