My career combines formal environmental science training with effective science communication. By implementing creative outreach initiatives, including “citizen science” projects, I seek to engage new audiences in human health and the environment.
What was your favorite part of earning your certification?
I liked teaching elementary-age kids at the public library about leaves, plants, and phenology.
What certification experience stands out for you?
Leaving my office building in full rain gear with a bucket and measuring tape to tromp around in the nearest stream in a storm. Much more exciting than computer work!
What was your community partnership project and how did it affect the community?
I designed and led a series of lessons for K-12 participants to learn about air quality and climate change through citizen science projects and science experiments, working with professional scientists to enhance their outreach efforts. I worked with other environmental educators to develop citizen science tools and programs. I presented environmental education tools and lessons to other environmental professionals.
Dana is the Program Support Specialist for the US Environmental Protection Agency at RTP in NC. She assists in all aspects of piloting US EPA’s Air, Climate & Energy (ACE) Research Program under direct supervision of the ACE National Program Director. Her responsibilities include leading the ACE outreach initiative, planning workshops, and writing science features for EPA Science Matters newsletter (38,000 subscribers) in addition to teaching weekly middle school science programs.

No comments:
Post a Comment