What does she do?
I am
a park ranger at Hammocks Beach State Park, located in Swansboro, working for
North Carolina State Parks since 2009. I
am the lead Interpretation & Education ranger as well as the Volunteer
Coordinator for the park. I develop and
lead various programs throughout the year for schools as well as for the
general public.
Her favorite part
of earning EE certification?
I
enjoyed traveling the state to the various workshops and EE Centers, meeting
people from the different work forces, and then learning from them about
different methods to teach in my own programs. The state is quite diverse and being able to learn about all the
cultures and histories is quite beneficial for one's own foundation. The wide-range of resources in this state
that is offered to people needs to be taken advantage of!
What experience
stands out for her?
My
community partnership activity has been a project in which I have been involved
with since Day 1. Being from Wisconsin I
haven't really seen many dolphins until I moved here. When one washed ashore on Bear Island in 2010
I knew I wanted to be a part of the story of this animal and to bring the story
to life. Working with the various
agencies as well as with some local students has been a learned experience for
me... for everyone! The friendships I
have made along the way is priceless. I'm looking forward to the day in which I can bring this dolphin exhibit
to life at the state park!
What was her community
partnership and how did it affect on the community?
The
reconstruction of a dolphin skeleton. This skeleton will be the highlight of the proposed exhibit which will
be located in the Visitor Center at Hammocks Beach State Park. People will be able learn about the dolphin
species as well as about "Maggie" (the dolphin) and how she came to
be at the park. During the
reconstruction phase, which will be completed inside the Visitor Center, people
will be encouraged to observe the process and learn from the volunteers and
park staff. It's not every day you get
to see the skeleton of an animal be put together like a puzzle! The community will benefit from the exhibit
through future programming and other educational experiences at the park.


No comments:
Post a Comment