Thursday, November 14, 2013

Rachel Bisesi

What does she do?
I am a graduate student at Coastal Carolina University, pursuing a Master’s Degree in Coastal Marine & Wetland Studies. At school, I am focusing on coastal education.

What was her favorite part of earning EE Certification?
My favorite part of earning the certification was meeting new people at different EE centers and workshops. Through the certification process I had the opportunity to hear from many educators about the ways they involve and encourage students through environmental education. Their thoughts gave me ideas of how to improve my own education efforts.

What certification experience stands out for her?
One of my favorite certification experiences was attending a Coastal Explorers workshop hosted by the NC Coastal Reserve in Beaufort. I loved learning all the hands-on and creative lessons that can be used to teach students about estuaries. We also took a field trip to the Rachel Carson Reserve where we explored the shoreline and saw many unique marine invertebrates. It was a great day!

What was her community partnership project and how did it affect the community?

My project involved taking recycled oyster shell clumps and placing them back into the estuary as a restoration effort. I partnered with Huntington Beach State Park and students from an environmental science club at Horry County Early College to restore oyster habitat within the Park. This project influenced the community by providing valuable habitat for new oysters and other estuarine species. It also provided the opportunity for students to give back to the community in a fun and productive way. 



No comments:

Post a Comment