What do you do?
I am currently a freelance naturalist working in several capacities with different organizations. I use to work full-time as the Curator of Exhibits at the Western North Carolina Nature Center in Asheville, NC. I began work there in 1980 and took an early retirement in 2005. While working there, I also began an educational service called Carolina Mountain Naturalists back around 1983 and since leaving the WNC Nature Center I have been focusing most of my attention to it. With CMN, I travel to various schools, camps, and to other organizations presenting live wildlife educational programs focusing primarily on native species. I maintain a large collection of reptiles, amphibians, raptors, etc. which I use in my educational programs. I also am a federally and NC State licensed wildlife rehabilitator and a NC State licensed Wildlife Damage Control Agent. Since 2008, I have also worked both as a field instructor and served as the interim program director of Muddy Sneakers, a non-profit educational organization based in Brevard, NC leading 5th grade science students on day-long science expeditions in the field. I also teach natural history classes at the NC Arboretum in Asheville, NC for their Blue Ridge Naturalist Certification program and work seasonally as an educator/naturalist for the Cradle of Forestry in America Interpretive Association.
What was your favorite part of earning your certification?
It was enjoyable to attend the workshops at various locations and to meet other folks involved in EE work.
What certification experience stands out for you?
Probably the teaching aspect. Although in my work, I naturally spend large amounts of time teaching EE related material, the teaching to me is the culmination of what EE certification is all about.
What was your community partnership project and how did it affect the community?
It was to design and implement a physical teaching structure (amphitheater) at the North Mills River Recreation Area and Campground in Pisgah National Forest. It affected the community by providing a pleasing, rustic, but formalized site for the presentation of various outdoor educational programs at a heavily visited recreation area. Before this was constructed, attendees of a education program there had to bring a chair or stand while attending the education programs

No comments:
Post a Comment