Monday, July 29, 2013

Neal Ward


What does he do? I am a State Park Ranger and my duties cover many areas including Law Enforcement, Search and Rescue, Wildfire Suppression, Interpretation and Education to groups of all ages, Park Operations and Management and supervising 11 employees.
 
What was his favorite part of earning EE Certification? Meeting people from different career fields and hearing about how they facilitate to different age groups. This gives me and other rangers future options, especially when we are contacted by school groups that need to touch on specific criteria.
 
What certification experience stood out for him? I enjoyed the outdoor experiences the most. The two that really stand out were about Mills in the Piedmont area and the milling lifestyle. Because there are lots of mills in the area and on that used to stand on our park property. I think I can answer questions related to this or be able to pass them along to individuals that could answer any of their questions.

What was his community partnership project? I partnered with a small Girl Scout Troop in Raleigh, NC and we constructed a mobile amphitheater. This is affecting how we  facilitate learning experiences to people in the outdoors. We can use the mobile outdoor classroom to reach visitors who don't attend programs and help bridge the gap between outdoor recreation and the wildlife and ecology of the lake that they enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment