Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Elizabeth Jernigan

What does she do? Throughout the certification process I worked exclusively in water resources, managing the Piedmont Triad Regional Council's Stormwater SMART (Stormwater Management and Recovery of the Triad). The program helps NPDES Phase II, Jordan Lake, Randleman Lake and voluntary communities meet outreach, education and public participation requirements. Other department responsibilities include policy analysis, watershed restoration planning efforts and other administrative responsibilities.

What was her favorite part of earning your certification? The EE certification process provided a respite from the administrative tasks I spend most of my time on. I thoroughly enjoyed getting    out of the office and interacting with folks who are passionate about the environment. It was invigorating to be surrounded by formal and non-formal    educators who dedicate so much of their free time to the process. While there are many things about my position I find challenging, the EE certification process reminded me that ultimately, I'm making a difference while doing work I love.
What certification experience stands out for her? I attended the teacher institute at the Trinity Center and really loved the facility, the other attendees and staff. I'm lucky to have completed the institute early in the EE Certification process because it helped familiarize me with the environmental professionals and programs around the state. Also, I got to spend a week at the beach.
What was her community partnership project and how did it affect the community? Follow that Drop - A Walking Tour of Burlington City Park - Through this project, Stormwater SMART and the City of Burlington hope to increase stormwater awareness of property owners (residential and business) and their access to techniques for reducing runoff pollution through increased public stewardship, understanding of water quality principles, and improving the native riparian butter. This project has three components including six detailed signs describing local water quality and how we can improve it, a map identifying where signs and best management practices (BMPs) are located, and Quick Response (QR) codes linking the viewer back to additional detailed information on our stormwater website.

Congratulations Elizabeth!

 


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment