At the US National Whitewater Center I work full-time as a supervisor and work under the Outdoor School department. I coordinate all of our Educational Programs (Educational Adventures) with schools. My duties with Educational Adventures includes developing the program and all curriculum, preparing the lessons, training EA staff, teaching and event planning for my groups. During the summer months I am a supervisor for our various summer camps and will assist with our new Outdoor School Programs. I also work part-time for REI as a sales specialist and an Outdoor School Instructor -teaching a variety of in-store classes, doing events in the field like the Great American Backyard Campout and service projects.
What certification experience stood out for her?
I loved the entire certification experience and every aspect was priceless. However, my favorite part, by far, were the workshops (especially Criteria II workshops being outside and in the field) and getting to visit a lot of new parks and other educational centers around the state!
What was her community partnership project?
My project was a week-long event with Whitewater Academy, a Charlotte Mecklenburg School, for all students grades Pre-K through 5th. My focus from the Tbilisi Declaration was on Awareness and Knowledge. The Third, fourth and fifth grades were each assigned a day to hike over to the US National Whitewater Center and then hike out to our ponds to participate in various grade specific hands on environmental educational lessons at stations. On the Friday of that week, I held an event on the school property for all Pre-K through 2nd grade students. The younger students were also able to participate in various grade specific hands on environmental educational lessons at stations- including a guided hike on a nature trail that I built in the woods down to the creek behind the school. Later, I was also able to install 24 Interpretive signs at the school and along the trail. Both Earth Fare and REI partnered with me providing valuable resources for the event along with items for the students and teachers to take with them.
Congratulations Joy!
No comments:
Post a Comment