I am the Recycling Coordinator for Spartanburg County (I began my certification as the Spartanburg County Soil & Water Conservation District Manager, however, and I owe the Conservation District a big thank you for supporting and encouraging me throughout the duration of my certification!). I'm also the Western Section Director for the Environmental Education Association of South Carolina.
What was her favorite part of earning EE certification? My teaching experiences were my favorite part. I was able to evolve my teaching programs as I progressed through the certification (deepening my knowledge and understanding of the field, and acquiring new programs and activities with each workshop) and every time I stood in front of a new group of students I could see how my own environmental literacy was developing as I taught.
What certification experience stands out for Jes?
Outdoor hours! Specifically going kayaking. Despite my love for the environment, I'm still not much of an outdoors person, but through my certification, I got to discover kayaking, go hiking, learn from some amazing naturalists, and cement my enjoyment of getting outside (as long as the weather's okay...and there aren't too many spiders).
What was her community partnership project?
I worked with some local students to write and install interpretive signs on the nature trail at the Price House historic site in Woodruff, SC. The nature trail isn't fully utilized, though it's always open, and the signs can give visitors a way to learn about the natural history of the area even when the Price House is closed. The signs are also designed to be changed out regularly, so frequent visitors will always learn something new.
Congratulations Jes!
No comments:
Post a Comment