Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Misty Varnell


What do you do? 

Currently, I work in a Registrar's office, where my duties are administrative in nature. I am also completing a master's degree in environmental education. In my free time, I enjoy being outside, from hiking to rock climbing to gardening. I am beginning to explore careers in teaching (public/charter/private schools), extension, and other educationally-related fields. I love working with people and seeing faces light up when they learn a new skill or a concept finally clicks.

What was your favorite part of earning your certification?
I liked to workshops (Project WILD, etc.) and the outdoor experience hours best!

What certification experience stands out for you? 
I completed a large portion of my requirements through graduate school. My most memorable teaching experience was taking my grad school cohort to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, Alaska (part of our summer ecosystems trip/capstone course). I was in as much awe of the glacier as they were, but it was exciting to see everyone's enthusiasm to soak up the beauty and learn about the natural history of the area.

What was your community partnership project and how did it affect the community? 
I coordinated the first Arbor Day Celebration for the Town of Montreat - an event that will become annual in conjunction with the Native Plant Sale. One direct benefit is that the Town is applying for Tree City USA status, and one of the criteria is to celebrate Arbor Day. The Arbor Day event was educationally-oriented and involved several local experts and agencies. As a result of the Arbor Day event, the Town brought back one of the NC Forest Rangers to educate summer residents on "FireWise" landscaping. The Arbor Day event also publicly highlighted Montreat's efforts to combat the hemlock woolly adelgid.

No comments:

Post a Comment