What do you do?
I have been working in the environmental education field for about six years now and currently I work part-time as an instructor at Muddy Sneakers in Brevard NC. I also do contract work for the Nature Conservancy designing environmental assessments/inventories and stream mitigation practices for private landowners, as well for public lands and National Forests. My hobbies include mountain biking, reading and nature sketching, trail running, bird watching, exploring, fly fishing, rock climbing, and backpacking with my wife and dog Thula.
What was your favorite part of earning your certification?
I really enjoyed the conferences and workshops. I felt that networking at these events and learning different teaching practices at the workshops enabled me to network with other employees who have the same interests in my field.
What certification experience stands out for you?
I loved the Aldo Leopold Workshop. His views and ideas have always been an constant reminder of how to be a "real conservationist" for me. I also could relate more to the workshop because my current thesis in grad school is focused on place- based education and Aldo Leopold drew in many place-based environmental practices and teachings in his writings as well.
What was your community partnership project and how did it affect the community?
I designed a 24 hour Bio-Blitz, an All Taxa Biodiversity Inventory, for Chimney Rock State Park. This allowed the community to be invited to participate in data collecting as well as learning alongside Chimney Rock State Park staff and members/volunteers of local conservation organizations (including Elisha Mitchell Audubon Society, Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy, The Nature Conservancy, Carolina Mountain Land Conservancy, and even a retired photographer from National Geographic!!!). After the study the participants were handed data sheets and directions of Bio-Blitz "How to dos" in the hopes that they would go home and do their own studies in their own backyards, local parks, or even school yards.

No comments:
Post a Comment