Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Dee Smith

What do you do?
I am the Big Sweep Coordinator and Program Associate working for Carteret County Cooperative Extension, a partnership with NC State and Carteret County. I do environmental education and assist others in my office with various types of programing. Currently my main focus is on composting and vermicomposting and recycling, litter awareness, and healthy environments as part of Big Sweep.

What was your favorite part of earning your certification? 
The teaching, my passion is in Environmental Ed and I want kids to learn to appreciate the natural world but being knowledgeable on environmental issues.

What certification experience stands out for you? 
Participating in various EELEs (Environmental Education Learning Experiences offered by NC State Parks)

What was your community partnership project and how did it affect the community?
I worked with Hammocks Beach State Park and the NC Coastal Federation to restore the coastline on Jones Island which is part of Hammocks Beach State Park). I supervised a group of boy scouts in the planting of native vegetation. Not only was it a teaching opportunity to the scouts but also restoring a natural habitat.

No comments:

Post a Comment