![]() |
| Cindy at Yellowstone National Park |
What was her favorite part of earning EE certification? Experiencing natural wonders and traveling were my favorite parts of earning my certification. I was honored to participate in the Educator of Excellence program with the N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences. As a participant, I was able to travel to both Yellowstone National Park and Belize. After returning from Belize, my students connected with the children at Monkey River School. We wrote to our new pen pals, raised money for two scholarships, and also sent our new friends school and medical supplies. Hopefully, through my travels, the students gained some lifelong lessons in global citizenship.
What certification experience stands out for her? During this journey, I was able to make new friends and share exciting experiences such as bison stampeding, swimming with spotted rays and upside down jellyfish, meeting a Mayan medicine woman, and waking up in the morning to the symphony of tropical birds at sunrise. I was able to make castings from prints of an endangered Red Wolf and witness Tundra swans in flight. I enjoyed connecting with the Earth and its many mysteries.
What was her community partnership project: Our students study plants in the 7th grade, so it was clear that a garden would be a perfect community partnership project. Collaborating with boy scout, Grayson York, our facilities manager, Tom Westmoreland, and our local food bank, we designed a community garden. Now, our Middle School Garden Club works on this beautiful new part of our campus all year, and I have incorporated it into my curriculum for all of 7th grade. Our first year, we donated over 100 pounds of potatoes to our local food bank, along with many bags of fresh herbs. Our garden site is beside a stream and lake, which give the students lots of opportunities to be outside, observe nature, and appreciate the changing seasons; and, hopefully, become environmental stewards for life.

No comments:
Post a Comment